February 10, 2013 by Flora Dawn
Cold Noodle Salad with Chicken Directions:
To make salad:
- In a small bowl mix all of the dressing ingredients and whisk until well combined. Set aside
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Remove from heat and add the purple corn noodles, stirring to separate the noodles. Let stand 5-7 minutes or until tender (but not mushy). Rinse under cold water and drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine the noodles bean sprouts, bell pepper and snow peas. Toss with 1/4 cup of the dressing. Garnish with cilantro, green onions, and peanuts. Serve with remaining dressing.
To make chicken:
- Preheat grill.
- In a shallow dish, combine coconut milk, fish sauce, and red curry paste; mix thoroughly.
- Add chicken and flip to coat well. Let marinade 15 minutes at room temperature (or refrigerate for an hour).
- Remove chicken from marinade (discard any remaining marinade). Grill over medium-high heat 7-10 minutes per side or until chicken in cooked through.
- Slice chicken and serve with the Cold Noodle Salad.
Today marks the first day of the 15-day celebration of Chinese New Year, the Year of the Snake! It’s the perfect time to gather friends and family and prepare some delicious Asian cuisine.
My go-to brand for Asian ingredients is Thai Kitchen, since the majority of their products are not only gluten-free, but msg-free and vegan as well (and they are convenient to find at my local supermarkets!). The folks at Thai Kitchen and Simply Asia sent me some great products to sample.
The item I was most eager to try was their new purple corn & rice noodles. They are made with all-natural ingredients and get their color from purple corn. They are fun and delicious! And sure to be a hit with the kids in your life. They have a mild flavor and tender texture, so they’d be perfect for soups, salads, and noodle stir-fries.
For today’s recipe I adapted a couple Thai Kitchen/Simply Asia recipes. I went with a cold noodle salad since in Asia long noodles represent longevity; and what better way to ring in the New Year? Loaded with veggies, and purple noodles, this salad was an instant hit with my family.I have to admit the dressing for the noodle salad is DELICIOUS! It would be tasty as a dipping sauce for salad rolls as well.
Although this noodle salad is perfectly fine meatless, I really wanted to try this chicken recipe. With coconut milk, fish sauce, and red curry paste it is super simple to make, yet has so much flavor and is incredibly moist. My family was a bit skeptical since it looks so red while marinading, but they were literally fighting over the leftovers. And if you have never used fish sauce, don’t be intimidated. It does smell fishy, but once cooked, the chicken does not taste fishy at all. The flavor is very nice and even my fish-hating husband enjoys my dishes containing fish sauce. It’s a great ingredient!
Thai Kitchen and Simply Asia offer a complete line of Asian ingredients and convenience items, including sauces, curry pastes, rice noodles, fish sauce, coconut milk, noodle bowls, and more. Most items are free of gluten, artificial colors/flavors and MSG – more reason to celebrate a New Year, and new you! Our ingredients and recipes offer simple solutions to spice up any celebration – and what better time to “thai” new dishes than Chinese New Year? The traditional 15-day celebration kicks off February 10, 2013, and is a perfect reason to gather a group of friends and try tasty Asian cuisine.
* This sponsorship is brought to you by Foodie Blogroll who we have partnered with for this promotion.