January 14, 2012 by Flora Dawn
Homemade frosting is so much better than anything you can buy at the store. And this particular recipe is not only great-tasting, but it is super easy to make.
The flavor of this frosting doesn’t really scream root beer. It’s a smooth, rich and definitely chocolate frosting.
I first made this frosting to go with a Root Beer Bundt Cake, but it would be great with almost any cake or cupcake. And if you have any leftover frosting, it’s perfect sandwiched between some homemade graham crackers.
I have made this in my stand mixer and my food processor and it works great either way. It’s a bit faster to make in the food processor, but I think it takes longer to clean.
Root Beer Fudge Frosting
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate, melted (I melt it in a microwave-safe bowl, in 30 sec intervals until smooth)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup root beer (not diet)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Put all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the frosting is smooth. Alternately, you can make this frosting by combing all ingredients in the bowl of stand mixer and mixing until the frosting it smooth and creamy.