October 4, 2011 by Flora Dawn
If there is one thing I love about October, it would have to be the pumpkins.
Pumpkin is the perfect ingredient in gluten-free baked goods, as it adds plenty of moisture and flavor; so your end product has the texture and the taste you desire!
Here is a kid-friendly muffin, perfect for a quick snack or lunchbox treat. They also happen to be egg-free and dairy- free (as long as you use a dairy-free chocolate chip), but they definitely don’t lack flavor!
I baked them in mini pans, so I used miniature chocolate chips; but if baking them in regular muffin tins, you might want to use regular size chocolate chips (and probably increase the amount).
These muffins do pack a lot of pumpkin flavor and although the smell very tempting warm from the oven, we’ve found they taste much better when allowed to cool.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins
If you don’t need/want to avoid eggs, you can simply use two eggs in this recipe, but omit the applesauce and flaxseed/water mixture.
Makes 36-48 mini muffins (depending on how full you fill the spaces)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal dissolved in 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free flour blend (with xanthan gum)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup min semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease mini muffin pans or line with paper liners.
- Mix sugar, oil, applesauce, and flaxseed slurry until combined. Stir in pumpkin and water. Add flour, baking powder, soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt; stirring until mixed thoroughly. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full with batter (I used about 1 tablespoon batter per space and ended up with 48 mini muffins). Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 10 minutes. Turn out onto cooling rack and allow to cool to room temperature.