July 14, 2011 by Flora Dawn
Let’s face it, cream cheese frosting is simply amazing. What simple frosting can turn an ordinary carrot cake, or just about any cake for that matter, into something divine?
The recipes are fairly straight forward, throw butter, cream cheese, and some confectioners’ sugar into a bowl and whip until soft, creamy frosting is created. And I bet you can’t stop yourself from sneaking a finger into the bowl just to make sure it tastes just right before frosting that cake 🙂
Well, what if you add some fresh fruit to the cream cheese frosting ingredients? You get a really nice twist on the original. Rich, decadent, and simply bursting with flavor, this Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting is something any berry lover should try. And it’s a pretty pink hue without any food coloring!
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
I thought more strawberries would be better, but the result was simply runny frosting; so if you have nice fresh, juicy strawberries, don’t get too carried away with how many you add, or you’ll need more sugar to thicken it.
- 1 large or 2 small strawberries (rinsed and green tops removed)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened (I’ve used full-fat and reduced-fat)
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- In a large bowl, mash strawberry with fork. Add the cream cheese and butter and beaut with an electric mixer until combined. Add the sugar and beat on low until the sugar is mixed in well; increase speed and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.