July 14, 2011 by Flora Dawn
I know I already posted a great gluten-free Strawberry Cake recipe. But I have to admit, as good at it looks and tastes, it bothers me a bit that it contains a cake mix and strawberry gelatin.
I decided to give a from scratch strawberry cake a try, thinking it would be easy to find a recipe and just convert it to gluten-free. Boy was I wrong. Apparently, just about everyone makes a strawberry cake the same way: a cake mix and a box of strawberry gelatin. So, I was left with few options, and decided to just come up with something and hope for the best.
I combined a couple different recipes and opted to make cupcakes. I choose white rice flour and a combination of starches I figured everyone would have in their pantry. I went with 1/4 cup potato starch and 1/4 cup cornstarch (truthfully, I intended on using all cornstarch for the starch, but my container was almost empty so 1/4 was all I had), but I think 1/2 cup of any one starch, or combination, should work (cornstarch, potato starch, arrowroot, etc). And I know I typically bake egg-free these days, but my egg-free kid happens to greatly dislike strawberries, so I didn’t even bother. How anyone can hate strawberries, I’ll never know.
They turned out perfectly: moist, flavorful, and delicious. Although they aren’t nearly as pink as the ones with the gelatin, they are just as good, maybe even better. My family loves that these aren’t over the top sweet, and contain enough strawberries to really taste like the fruit. And I didn’t do a complete cost analysis here, but they have to be less expensive than buying a gluten-free mix, gelatin, plus the other ingredients. And you certainly aren’t sacrificing any flavor.
I haven’t actually tried any other berries with this recipe yet, but I am thinking an equal amount of another berry puree could be substituted with great results. The weather is just heating up here in the Pacific Northwest, so I’ll have to let you know as the different berries become available.
Happy gluten-free baking!
Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup strawberry puree (pureed in food processor or mashed with a fork)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners, or grease well.
- In a bowl, combine the rice flour, cornstarch, potato starch, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl (I used a glass measuring cup), combine the strawberry puree, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy; about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, until combined. Add the wet and dry ingredients alternating; add part of dry mixture, wet mixture, and ending with remaining dry mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until center tests clean, about 18-20 minutes. Cool on wire rack before frosting.