March 26, 2011 by Flora Dawn
I saw a recipe for White Bean and Chicken Chili and thought it sounded great. But when I went to actually make it for my family, they were all groaning about it. No one was in the mood for spicy food, so I adjusted the spices and made a White Bean & Chicken Soup instead.
It was plenty flavorful, but mild enough for the kids. If you prefer a more grown-up flavor, you could always add some heaping teaspoons of cayenne and chili powder. As Emeril would say, that would “kick it up a notch!”
This soup is easy to throw together and get on the table in no time. I opted to use some leftover chicken instead of cooking the chicken in the soup. But if you don’t have any cooked chicken to use up, you could easily add chicken pieces in the first step, browning it with the onions and then let it cook as the soup simmers. This will actually produce a more flavorful soup.
I have only cooked this on the stove top, but I think this soup would also be a great slow cooker meal.
White Bean & Chicken Soup
We prefer a mild, kid-friendly soup. But adding more cayenne and plenty of chili powder would turn this into a White Chili!
- 2 TB olive or canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 15-ounce cans of white or Great Northern beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 3 cups water, plus more if needed
- 2 cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cooked and chopped or shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Monterey Jack cheese, chopped fresh cilantro, and sour cream for garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the beans, corn, chiles, cumin, cayenne, and water. Simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes. Add the chicken and continue to cook until heated thoroughly. Add more water if needed to reach desired consistency. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Ladle into bowls and top with cheese, cilantro and sour cream if desired.