March 11, 2011 by Flora Dawn
I am always on the lookout for new quick and healthy dinner ideas, so when I spotted a quinoa salad in an issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray I just had to try it. It’s a 5-ingredient meal recipe sent in by a reader. (They consider salt, pepper and oil “freebies,” so they don’t count towards the five ingredients.)
I kept the ingredients the same, but I did change their ratios quite a bit. I halved the dressing, as we aren’t too fond of soggy quinoa at my house and I cut back on the basil.
The salad is winner! It really is a bright and flavorful dish, and with quinoa and beans it’s actually quite filling. Not only does it taste great, but it is super quick to throw together on a busy weeknight, especially if you have leftover cooked quinoa in the fridge.
We think this makes the perfect meatless dinner or lunch; and leftovers taste great because the salad really absorbs the citrus dressing.
So next time you need dinner in a hurry, Quinoa Bean Salad might be just the meal to make.
Quinoa Bean Salad
I think black beans or pinto beans would also work well in this salad.
- 1-20 ounce can kidney beans, drained
- about 2 cups cooked and cooled quinoa
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- the juice of one lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl mix together beans, quinoa, onion and basil. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and oil. Pour dressing over salad and stir to mix thoroughly; taste and season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve at room temperature or chilled.