March 3, 2011 by Flora Dawn
I know most of those little store-bought tubs of frosting are gluten-free, but really, making homemade frosting is easy and tastes so much better.
I think everyone should have a great recipe for a chocolate, butter cream, and cream cheese frosting. If you know how to make these three basics you can really make an infinite variety of frosting by adding flavorings, nuts, fruit, etc.
To be honest, most cream cheese frosting recipes are pretty similar. Sometimes they use too much cream cheese in my opinion, resulting in a cheesecake-tasting frosting. Other recipes are way too sweet. I like this particular version because it tastes like cream cheese, but it isn’t overwhelming. And with just enough butter and powdered sugar, it is flavorful and rich without being over the top.
Cream Cheese Frosting is the perfect frosting for a carrot cake, or a chocolate cake, or a zucchini cake…you get the idea!
And I haven’t seen a cream cheese with gluten, but I am sure you’ll want to read the label to double check.
Cream Cheese Frosting
You can use more vanilla, but the frosting becomes very off-white the more vanilla you add.
- 1-8 ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 TB water or milk as needed
- In a large bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy (you can do this with an electric mixer or by hand with a wooden spoon.) Add sugar and vanilla and mix until well combined. Add water or milk 1 tablespoon at a time to reach desired consistency.