February 1, 2011 by Flora Dawn
I wanted to make cornbread muffins the other day, only I wanted a savory version, with cheese and jalapeno peppers. I couldn’t find what I was looking for, so I combined an egg free recipe with a gluten free recipe, and voila! A great tasting, moist, savory cornbread muffin.
This recipe contains unsweetened applesauce. Don’t be afraid of it in this. It doesn’t make the final product taste a bit like apples; it just helps keep the muffins moist with a nice crumb.
My kids weren’t so fond of the jalapenos, so next time I will either omit them or replace them with finely chopped bell peppers.
- 2/3 cup white rice flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (colby jack or pepper jack would also be great)
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- Line or grease a 12-space muffin tin. Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients and mix to combine. In a small bowl combine applesauce, oil and milk; pour into the dry ingredients and stir until incorporated. Stir in corn, cheese and jalapeno. Fill muffin spaces evenly, about 3/4 full, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and center tests clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack 5 minutes or so before serving.