December 21, 2010 by Flora Dawn
This Candy Cane Cocoa mix in a jar is a really cute idea; and I wish I could claim it as my own, but I actually got the idea from Sunset Magazine. Just as they explain, it’s a super simple, yet stylish gift that is perfect for gift giving this time of year. And as far as food gifts go, this one is really inexpensive.
I didn’t stick to the original recipe, but the idea will work with almost any favorite cocoa mix you might already use. And if you are like my husband, and dislike peppermint cocoa, you could omit that layer altogether and add a layer of miniature marshmallows. However, I think the peppermint layer makes the jar look rather festive. Or you could even substitute the mini chocolate chips for flavored chips, just chop them a bit so they’ll melt (and read the ingredients if it needs to be gluten free, some flavored chips actually have gluten. I once bought butterscotch chips only to realize, too late, they weren’t gf).
Although really special, decorative jars can be purchased at kitchen or craft stores, regular canning jars also work. Or, if you are like me and you save up cute jars to reuse throughout the year, this would be a perfect occasion to pull them out of the cupboard.
Candy Cane Cocoa
This recipe makes 1 quart (12 servings), but I prefer to divide it between 2 pint size jars. You could use any size jar, just keep the ratio of the ingredients the same.
- 1 cup powdered milk
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Hershey’s Special Dark)
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar or granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies or candy canes
- 1/2 cup miniature marshmallows, optional
- 1 quart size or 2 pint size jars
- For wide-mouth jars I simply scoop the ingredients into the jars, but for small-mouth jars, I find a funnel works best. Layer powdered milk, cocoa powder, sugar & salt, chocolate chips and peppermint candy. If adding marshmallows, press gently on the peppermint layer to make room, then add marshmallows to fill jar.
- On a gift tag give the directions “Mix contents in a large bowl. For each serving, place 1/3 cup cocoa mix in a mug and stir in 1 cup of boiling water; for a richer cocoa use hot milk. Store remaining mix in an airtight container or bag.”