May 10, 2010 by Flora Dawn
Spring is such a great time of year. The weather starts getting warmer, the flowers bloom, and the fresh, local fruits begin appearing.
With so many different and delicious fruit dishes, it’s hard to pick a favorite. But, I must admit the fruit salad is probably the easiest.
Fruit salads are such wonderful things. You get to enjoy all the in season fruits without turning on your oven. They can be served as side dishes, desserts or even breakfast. And they are always a hit at a barbecue or potluck.
With just three fruits and some yogurt, this is truly one of the simplest salads you can make. Kids eager to help out in the kitchen will probably love to help prepare this dish.
I like to use a “healthy” yogurt, you know, the kind without all the sugar and corn syrup. I prefer the Brown Cow brand, it isn’t super sour and it’s certified gluten-free.
I like the combination of strawberries, grapes and bananas folded into strawberry yogurt, but you could switch up the fruits or the yogurt flavor to suit your taste or what’s in your fridge.
Easy Fruit Salad
- about 2 tsp lemon juice, optional
- 3 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 pound seedless grapes, halved
- 6 ounces strawberry yogurt
- In a large bowl, toss bananas in lemon juice to prevent browning; this step is optional but suggested.
- Add remaining ingredients, gently folding in the yogurt to evenly coat the fruit. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.