May 4, 2010 by Flora Dawn
I took a gluten free cooking class a few weeks ago and one of the recipes was for strawberry shortcake using a Bob’s Red Mill gluten free cake mix. I am not usually fond of gluten free cake mixes, but this recipe produces a quick, easy, and delicious gluten free dessert.
With so few ingredients even the most inexperienced baker will be able to create a dessert worthy of company. Who doesn’t like vanilla cake, fresh sweet strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream?
There are several different version of “shortcake.” Some are biscuits, others more like pound cake or angel food cake. This is more of the cake-like variety, but not too sweet. And with strawberry season just beginning there is plenty of time to make it. And the recipe only uses half of a cake mix, so you can actually make this twice with just one package of cake mix!
Easy Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake
The original recipe used 10 of the spaces in a regular 12-cup pan, filling the two extra spaces with water to protect from burning the pan. I don’t like to do this because it never fails that I get my baked goods wet and soggy. I chose to bake mine in a jumbo or large muffin tin, making 6 larger shortcakes.
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 package Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Vanilla Cake Mix (1 3/4 cups)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease a muffin tin or line with paper liners (I used a large, 6-space tin which I greased).
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs at low speed for about 30 seconds. Add mix, oil,and water. Beat for 30 seconds on medium-low speed, scraping the side of bowl if necessary.
- Divide batter evenly in muffin pan.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until tester inserted in center tests clean. Cool in pan for 5-10 minutes before removing. Let cool on a wire rack.
- about 4 cups strawberries, washed, stemmed and sliced
- 2-4 Tb granulated sugar, depending on sweetness desired
- In a bowl combine strawberries and sugar; chill until ready to serve.
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- 2 Tb confectioners’ or superfine sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a clean bowl, preferably chilled, beat cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Serve immediately (you can freeze leftovers).
To assemble the stortcakes
- Slice cupcakes in half horizontally and place the bottom half on the serving plate. Spoon strawberries over and top with remaining cupcake half. Spoon more strawberries on top and dollop with whipped cream OR you can sandwich the strawberry and whipped cream between the cupcake halves.