April 29, 2010 by Flora Dawn
With bananas, crushed pineapple, and pecans Hummingbird cake is both delicious and unique. It is a classic Southern cake and remains one of Southern Living’s most requested recipes.
I have made the magazine’s version many times, so when I saw a gluten free version in Elizabeth Barbone’s cookbook I was eager to give it a try.
Barbone’s version stays very true to the original, she basically replaced the flour with gluten free flours and xanthan gum, but left the rest of the ingredients the same. This is one cake I am sure I would have got around to adapting, but now I don’t have to!
The cake was delicious; moist and flavorful and every bit as good as the hummingbird cakes I have made before.
Traditionally this should be a triple layer cake with cream cheese frosting-quite the showstopper. But I opted to bake mine in a bundt pan and drizzle a simple glaze on it. The cake is very moist and sweet, so a light dusting of confectioners’ sugar would also work.
Gluten Free Hummingbird Cake
I leave out the pecans due to an allergy, and it still tastes great! Use the finest rice flour you can find, I use Authentic Food’s but the kind you get at the Asian market will also work.
- 2 cups white rice flour
- 1/2 cup sweet rice flour, also called glutinous or sticky rice flour (I use Bob’s)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 (8 0unce) can crushed pineapple with juice
- 2 cups diced or mashed very ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and rice flour a Bundt pan or three 8-inch cake pans.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together all dry ingredients.
- Add oil, eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth; the batter should be very thick, resembling a cookie dough.
- Add pineapple with juice, bananas, and pecans. Mix until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake Bundt cake for approximately 60 minutes and layer cakes for 35-40 minutes, or until tester inserted in middle of cakes comes out clean.
- Place cakes on a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes before removing from pans. Cool cakes completely.
- For Bundt cake drizzle with a thin glaze of dust with confectioners’ sugar. For layer cake frost with a cream cheese frosting.