April 23, 2010 by Flora Dawn
Potato salad. Easy to prepare and make ahead, it makes for the perfect BBQ side dish.
Simple is best when it comes to potato salad. I like to stick with the basics: potatoes, mayo, pickles, celery, and eggs. I do subscribe to the notion that bacon makes everything better, so I add some bacon.
Although, truly I think you can make potato salad without following a recipe exactly, I do have a few tip:
- All potatoes aren’t equal. Use a waxy potato, not a starchy potato. Red potatoes and Yukon golds make great salads and will hold their shapes; Russets and Idahos will get dry and fall apart.
- Salt the water you boil the potatoes in; it’s your only chance to get salt into the potatoes rather than on them
- Make the salad while the potatoes are still warm. This really improves the flavor.
- Make potato salad ahead of time, unless planning to serve warm, so there is time to chill it thoroughly.
Here is one of my family’s favorite potato salads. It is based on a recipe from Emeril and although I know many people are intimidated by his recipes, he really knows what he is talking about when it comes to food. His recipes work.
Bacon Potato Salad
I like my potato salad lightly dressed, not swimming in mayo, so I listed 1/4-3/4 cup mayonnaise as a guide. Personally, I use 1/4 a cup, but I know others will not think it has enough that way. And always read the bacon labels, some brands of bacon contain gluten.
- about 2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 2 Tb freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 large pickle, chopped
- 2 Tb finely chopped green onions (about 2 onions, white and green parts)
- 1 Tb chopped fresh parsley
- 4 strips of crisp-cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1/4-3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 Tb Creole of Deli-style mustard
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan, add water and salt and bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes are fork-tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and transfer them to a large bowl. While still warm, season with the cayenne, pepper, and lemon juice. Toss well to combine.
- Add celery, eggs, pickle, onions, parsley, and bacon and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise and mustard together. Add to the salad and stir gently to thoroughly incorporate dressing into salad.
- Can be served immediately, or refrigerated and served chilled.