April 6, 2010 by Flora Dawn
I have always loved homemade beef stew. Not only is it a complete meal in a bowl, but it is pure comfort food.
Stew is pretty simple to adapt to be gluten free, you can simply eliminate the flour, but it will be slightly less thick, or use your favorite gluten free flour blend.
This is my basic beef stew recipe. If you want to get fancy, you could add different vegetables or some red wine. Over the years I have slimmed down the beef portion and increased the veggies, I think this makes it healthier without sacrificing any flavor.
You can use stew meat, but a beef chuck roast trimmed and cut into cubes will be the most flavorful and tender option.
Homemade Beef Stew
This makes a pretty thick stew. If you prefer a stew with more sauce, omit the flour or increase the broth.
- 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat or chuck roast cut into 1 inch cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tb oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 Tb tomato paste (you can use ketchup or tomato sauce)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 Tb gluten free flour blend
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- a couple dashes Worcestershire sauce (Lea and Perrins is GF)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 300.
- Heat oil in large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef and season with salt and pepper. Brown beef.
- Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the flour and cook about 1 minute. Stir in broth, stirring to loosen up browned bits. Add thyme, parsley, and bay leaf. Cover and transfer pot to oven. Cook for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes and carrots; stir and cover. Continue to cook in oven until meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove pot from the oven and discard bay leaf. Stir in the peas and corn and let stand off the heat for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper if needed before serving.