February 17, 2010 by Flora Dawn
I am fortunate enough to live within driving distance of Bob’s Redmill. If you are ever in the Portland metro area it is worth the effort to go the retail store or set up a tour of the mill.
Bob’s Redmill has a designated gluten free area of the mill just for gluten free products, and they offer a large line of gluten free products, the largest I have seen available in grocery stores.
Although I do buy many of their gluten free products, I have found their gluten free baking mixes and all-purpose flour to have an off-taste, probably because of the amount of bean flours they use. But, overall, their products are some of the best on the market, in my opinion.
If I had one favor to ask Bob, I would ask him to make those small packages resealable. O well, we can’t have everything.
One of Bob’s products that has become a staple in our house is Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal. It can usually be found next to the other hot cereals, but sometimes is shelved in the gluten free section of the grocery store. It is brown rice, corn, sorghum and buckwheat; containing the germ, the oil, and the fiber, making it a hearty and nutritious breakfast option.
I throw in some flax meal, but this is totally optional. We have adapted the recipe on the package to suit our tastes, but the possibilities are nearly endless. Hope you enjoy.
The cooked cereal.
Mighty Tasty Cereal with Dried Fruit
- 3 1/4 cups water
- dash salt
- 1 cup Bob’s Redmill Mighty Tasty Cereal
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (honey or maple syrup is equally good)
- 1 Tb flax meal
- 1/2 cup or so dried fruits and/or nuts (we like cranberries, cherries, or raisins)
- milk, optional
- Bring water and salt to a boil. Stir in cereal and immediately turn heat to low, stirring until water and cereal are blended.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat and stir in sugar and fruit.
- Spoon into bowls and serve with milk if desired.
- Refrigerate any leftovers and reheat, adding milk or water as needed to get desired consistency.