February 13, 2010 by Flora Dawn
I have made mousse many times, using different recipes, and they have all been delicious. But one thing I have realized, it doesn’t have to be complicated or a have a laundry list of ingredients. Sometimes simple is just better. If you have never made mousse, don’t be intimidated, it’s really quite easy. And it is an impressive dessert to serve company or that special Valentine.
Either bittersweet or semisweet will work here, but bittersweet chocolate has a more intense flavor.
Easy Chocolate Mousse
- 1 1/4 cups chilled heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 4 oz bittersweet of semisweet chocolate, chopped (I cheat and just use 3/4 cup chocolate chips)
- In small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup cream and cinnamon; bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add chocolate, whisking until melted and smooth.
- Using electric mixer, beat remaining 1 cup cream until soft peaks form. Fold about 1/4 of whipped cream into the chocolate mixture. Fold remaining whipped cream in until just incorporated.
- Divide mousse among 4 glasses or bowls and chill until set, about 4 hours (this mousse can be made 1 day ahead; keep covered and chilled).