February 2, 2010 by Flora Dawn
While grocery shopping a few weeks ago I noticed Guittard Extra Dark Chocolate Chips. Having never seen these before, I bought three packages, knowing that they would be great for baking. Wow! These chips are fantastic, the flavor is really nice, dark chocolate that is not too bitter. It is such a nice change from the semi-sweet traditionally used in chocolate chips. If you see these in your store grab several bags, you won’t regret it. This is a very convenient alternative to chopping high quality baking chocolate to add to your baked goods.
This recipe is a gluten free adaptation from the back of the bag. These brownies are very truffle-like, dense, dark and oh so good.They are super easy and would be a great Valentine’s Day treat.
Gluten Free Truffle Brownies
- 1 2/3 cups extra dark chocolate chips (this is the entire bag, minus 1/3 cup)
- 3 Tb butter
- 3 Tb water
- 1 cup sugar
- dash salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend
- Position oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 325. Line an 8 inch square pan with foil, leaving edges long enough that the foil can be used to lift brownies after baking. Spray or brush with oil or cooking spray.
- Heat chocolate, butter and water in large microwave-safe bowl at medium power for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until chocolate is melted smooth.
- With a wooden spoon, beat in the sugar, salt and vanilla. Beat in the eggs, one at at a time, until smooth and glossy. Stir in flour until just combined.
- Spread the batter evenly into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minute. The center will test moist, do not overbake.
- Place pan on cooling rack and cool 2-3 hours (we couldn’t wait this long). Remove brownies from pan by lifting up on foil, cut into 16 squares. Grab a glass of cold milk and enjoy!