January 22, 2010 by Flora Dawn
This is a great recipe for cornbread. I find many cornbread recipes have too much sugar and end up tasting like a corn cake or they are really dry and crumbly. This recipe has neither of those problems. It can easily be doubled and baked in a 9×13 pan or made into muffins. It can be made with either white or yellow cornmeal, but I recommend the white cornmeal. My kids, who never liked cornbread, love the version with white cornmeal. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Cornbread
- 1 cup white or yellow corn meal
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400. Grease 8 inch square or circular pan.
- Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl. In separate bowl combine milk, oil and egg and mix well. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Best served warm.
*For muffins, spoon batter into 10-12 greased or paper lined muffin cups, filling 2/3 full. Bake in 400 oven for 15 minutes.
Source: Adapted from the Albers Corn Bread recipe found on the back of Albers White Corn Meal